Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
An Examination Of Online Firestorm In Election
Chen, Yi Chen
Shang, Shiaw Chun
Chen, Yi Chen
Negative word of mouth
|Issue Date: ||2015-08-17 14:07:37 (UTC+8)|
|Abstract: ||在這網路發達的世界，電子口碑(electronic word of mouth)一直以來都是學術界研究的重點。電子口碑分成正面跟負面，尤其以負面電子口碑備受關注，因為這會帶給企業難以估計的傷害。而在2014年，開始有學者提出了網路風暴(online firestorm)的新名詞，描述在現代社群網路下，負面口碑在網路上突然大量流傳的現象。|
During the political election period in Taiwan in Nov. 2014, this study observed significant effects caused by online firestorms: some candidates used appropriate responses to mitigate their effects or minimize the harm, some turned negative into positive support of their brand, but some candidates were unable to manage the crisis and lost their brand value. To date, few studies have noted the importance of negative WOM (NWOM) management in political election campaigns. Nor have studies noted the effects of online firestorms on brand value. This study undertakes research to seek answers to the following research questions: What is the uniqueness of online firestorms in a political election? And, how do candidates respond the online firestorm to retain brand value?
This study initially reviewed the literature on negative WOM and online firestorm, and consolidated these studies to formulate the forming process of an online firestorm. Then the study classified online political election firestorm cases into three categories including fault, defect, and counterforce slander, and analyzed the best responses in each situation. Next, the study applied Google Trend to measure the online firestorm and referred image restoration theory to form an understanding of the response of a brand manager. The study results show that for fault situation, the most useful strategies seem to be mortification, minimization the offensive feeling, and ignoring to respond to most offensive accusations. For defect situation, the most used strategies are insisting the main opinion and using attack strategy to evade the most offensive accusations. Last, for counterforce slander situation, most candidates used full denial, blame shifting and accuser attack strategies to prove their innocence.
Finally, the study further distinguished the difference between conventional business online firestorm and political elections online firestorm from several angles which include: online firestorm targets, causes, consumer reactions, initiatives, effects and dissemination.
|Reference: ||1. Andreason, A. R. (1985). Consumer responses to dissatisfaction in loose monopolies. Journal of Consumer Research, 12(9), 135-141.|
2. Anderson, E. W. (1998). Customer satisfaction and word of mouth. Journal of service research, 1(1), 5-17.
3. Arndt, J. (1967). Role of product-related conversations in the diffusion of a new product. Journal of marketing Research, 4(8), 291-295.
4. Benoit, W. L. (1997). Image repair discourse and crisis communication. Public relations review, 23(2), 177-186.
5. Bone, P. F. (1995). Word-of-mouth effects on short-term and long-term product judgments. Journal of Business Research, 32(3), 213-223.
6. Brown, J. J., & Reingen, P. H. (1987). Social ties and word-of-mouth referral behavior, Journal of Consumer Research, 14(3), 350–362.
7. Cheung, M. Y., Luo, C., Sia, C. L., & Chen, H. (2009). Credibility of electronic word-of-mouth: informational and normative determinants of on-line consumer recommendations. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 13(4), 9-38.
8. Charlett, D., Garland, R., & Marr, N. (1995). How damaging is negative word of mouth. Marketing Bulletin, 6(1), 42-50.
9. Chu, S. C., & Kim, Y. (2011). Determinants of consumer engagement in electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) in social networking sites. International Journal of Advertising, 30(1), 47-75.
10. Choi, H., & Varian, H. (2012). Predicting the present with google trends. Economic Record, 88(s1), 2-9.
11. Chen, S. Z. (2014). Wen-Je Ko laundering illegal accounts? Taiwan People News. Retrieved February, 14, 2015, from http://www.peoplenews.tw/news/40cfe536-26d7-40b5-9b96-0149471de148
12. Chen, U. R. (2014). Wen-Je Ko be accused of involving organ trading. Apple daily. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20141027/495487/
13. Chen, U. R. (2014). Lien mentioned that Ko’s accuse is a classical political election deception. Apple daily. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20141125/512875/
14. Coombs, W. T. (1998). An analytic framework for crisis situations: Better responses from a better understanding of the situation. Journal of public relations research, 10(3), 177-191.
15. Chiu, M. U. (2014). Ko replied to the “Ting-Shin” events. Nownews. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://www.nownews.com/n/2014/10/15/1457093
16. Chen, U. R. (2014). Lien denoted two million dollars to Kaohsiung gas explosion. Apple daily. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20140803/445115/
17. Chen, W. W. (2015). Lien-Jane ranked in global rich link. Taiwan People News. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.peoplenews.tw/news/49c6b37a-db8f-4eed-a60b-c4968a8aa5f3
18. Chou, J. F., Liu, C. H., Jang, S., Wang, W. S., Tu, G. Y., & Ya, G. U. (2014). Ko office had been wiretapped. Liberty Times. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/827838
19. Chu, M. U. (2014). Ko hoped the government does not judge the case selectively. NOWnews. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.nownews.com/n/2014/10/13/1453460
20. Dutton, J. E. (1986). The processing of crisis and non‐crisis strategic issues. Journal of Management Studies, 23(5), 501-517.
21. Diakopoulos, N., De Choudhury, M., & Naaman, M. (2012). Finding and assessing social media information sources in the context of journalism. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2451-2460.
22. East, R., Hammond, K., & Wright, M. (2007). The relative incidence of positive and negative word of mouth: A multi-category study. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 24(2), 175-184.
23. Ettoday (2014). 216 million people Taipei are eligible to vote, Retrieved February, 22, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20141029/419313.htm
24. Ettoday (2014). Government against Ting-Shin company with people. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20141010/411957.htm
25. Ettoday (2014). Ko responded to the eavesdrop events. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20141125/430673.htm
26. Feick, L. F., & Price, L. L. (1987). The market maven: A diffuser of marketplace information. The Journal of Marketing, 51(1), 83-97.
27. Fink, S. L., Beak, J., & Taddeo, K. (1971). Organizational crisis and change. The Journal of applied behavioral science, 7(1), 15-37.
28. Goldsmith, R. E., & Horowitz, D. (2006). Measuring motivations for online opinion seeking. Journal of interactive advertising, 6(2), 2-14.
29. Goodman, J., & Newman, S. (2003). Understand customer behavior and complaints. Quality Progress, 36(1), 51-55.
30. Granovetter, M. S. (1973). The Strength of Weak Ties. American Journal of Sociology, 78(6), 1360–1680.
31. Global Views Monthly (2013). Taiwanese network behavior survey, Retrieved September, 3, 2014, from http://www.gvm.com.tw/webonly_content_1172_3.html
32. Guo, A. J. (2014). Lien-Jane apologized to Japanization person. Liberty Time News. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/politics/breakingnews/1163489
33. Gu, C. (2014). Lien denoted two million dollars to Kaohsiung gas explosion. CNA News. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E9%AB%98%E9%9B%84%E6%B0%A3%E7%88%86-%E9%80%A3%E5%8B%9D%E6%96%87%E6%8D%90%E6%AC%BE200%E8%90%AC-045236694.html
34. Haywood, K. M. (1989). Managing word of mouth communications. Journal of Services Marketing, 3(2), 55-67.
35. Hennig-Thurau, T., Walsh, G. (2003). Electronic word-of-mouth: motives for and consequences of reading customer articulations on the internet. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 8(2), 51-74.
36. Hennig‐Thurau, T., Gwinner, K. P., Walsh, G., & Gremler, D. D. (2004). Electronic word‐of‐mouth via consumer‐opinion platforms: What motivates consumers to articulate themselvs on the Interneet?. Journal of interactive marketing, 18(1), 38-52.
37. Herr, Paul M., Frank R. Kardes, and J. Kim (1991). ‘Effects of Word of Mouth and Product-Attribute Information on Persuasion: An Accessibility-Diagnosticity Perspective,’ Journal of Consumer Research, 17(3), 454-62.
38. Heider, F. (1946). Attitudes and cognitive organization. The Journal of psychology, 21(1), 107-112.
39. Ho, J. Y., & Dempsey, M. (2010). Viral marketing: Motivations to forward online content. Journal of Business Research, 63(9), 1000-1006.
40. Hsieh, H. F., & Shannon, S. E. (2005). Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qualitative health research, 15(9), 1277-1288.
41. Huang, J. Y. (2014). Lien political election team denoted one hundred thousand NT dollars to Kaohsiung explosion. ETtoday. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20140801/385113.htm
42. Huang, J. Y. (2014). Lien political election team claimed do not use the donation dollars as the judgment of compassion. ETtoday. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20140804/385784.htm
43. Hsu, P. J. & Wu, J. S. (2014). As a government officer Ko’s wife could not attend political election activity. Apple daily. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/politics/20141012/486460
44. INSIGHTXPLORER (2014). 2014 Taiwan cross-screen Internet usage behavior survey, Retrieved September, 3, 2014, from http://www.insightxplorer.com/news/news_09_29_14.html
45. Key, V. O., & Cummings, M. C. (1966). The responsible electorate. Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 226-230
46. Kotler P (1991). Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning, Implementation, and Control. Sydney: Prentice Hall.
47. Krippendorff K. (1980). Content Analysis: An Introduction to its Methodology. Sage Publications, Retrieved August, 27, 2014, from http://repository.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1232&context=asc_papers&sei-redir=1&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.com.tw%2Fscholar%3Fq=Content+Analysis%3A+An+Introduction+to+its+Methodology%26btnG=%26hl=zh-TW%26as_sdt=
48. Lazarsfeld, P. F., & Katz, E. (1955). Personal influence: the part played by people in the flow of mass communications. Glencoe, Illinois.
49. Liberty Times (2014). 67.9 percent turnout in Taipei, the lowest turnout happened in Daan District, Retrieved February, 22, 2015, from http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/politics/breakingnews/1169731
50. Liberty Times (2014). Play all the time, Lien’s advertisement be Kosu, Retrieved May, 1, 2015, from http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/politics/breakingnews/1104199
51. Litvin, S. W., Goldsmith, R. E., & Pan, B. (2008). Electronic word-of-mouth in hospitality and tourism management. Tourism management, 29(3), 458-468.
52. Liu, K. Y. (2014). Mayor should have social training. ETtoday. Retrieved May, 1, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20140907/398487.htm
53. Ling, U. Y. (2014). Ko is a descendant of japanization person.newtalk.tw. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://newtalk.tw/news/view/2014-11-16/53676
54. Ling, C. Y. (2014). Ko thought rejecting company “Ting-Shin” was similar to witch burning in medieval times. newtalk.tw. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://newtalk.tw/news/view/2014-10-14/52461
55. Ling, J. T. (2014). Luo She-Lei criticized Ko lying. Nownews. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.nownews.com/n/2014/10/28/1477833
56. Liberty Times (2014). Lein: Ko should quit the political election if they did not be wiretapped, Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/politics/breakingnews/1149174
57. Ling, Y. F., Wu, Y. S. (2014). A man who hired by Ko’s office admitted he installed the wiretapping secretly. ETtoday. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20141126/431117.htm
58. Lai, I. S. (2014). The legislative Yuan of Republic of China adjusted the law. ETtoday. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20141111/424439.htm
59. McPherson, M., Smith-Lovin, L., & Cook, J. M. (2001). Birds of a feather: Homophily in social networks. Annual review of sociology, 27, 415-444.
60. Mulpuru, S. (2007). How damaging are negative customer reviews. Retrieved February, 22, 2015, from http://www.forrester.com/Research/Document/Excerpt/
61. Murray, K. B. (1991). A test of services marketing theory: consumer information acquisition activities. The journal of marketing, 55(1), 10-25.
62. Mochalova, A., & Nanopoulos, A. (2014). Restricting the spread of online firestorm in social networks, Twenty Second European Conference on Information Systems.
63. Myers, S. A., Zhu, C., & Leskovec, J. (2012). Information diffusion and external influence in networks. In Proceedings of the 18th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining, 33-41.
64. Neisser, D (2004) cited in Maddox, K. (2004). Guerrilla marketing can build brand, relationship. BtoB, l. 89(2), 4.
65. Neuendorf, K. A. (2002). The content analysis guidebook (Vol. 300). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
66. Norman, A. T., & Russell, C. A. (2006). The Pass‐Along Effect: Investigating Word‐of‐Mouth Effects on Online Survey Procedures. Journal of Computer‐Mediated Communication, 11(4), 1085-1103.
67. Opview. (2013). Thanks for famous public medias using Opview social WOM database, Retrieved April, 24, 2015, from http://www.opview.com.tw/568/%E6%84%9F%E8%AC%9D%E5%90%84%E5%A4%A7%E7%9F%A5%E5%90%8D%E5%AA%92%E9%AB%94%E5%BC%95%E7%94%A8opview%E7%A4%BE%E7%BE%A4%E5%8F%A3%E7%A2%91%E8%B3%87%E6%96%99%E5%BA%AB
68. Pariser, E. (2011). The filter bubble: What the Internet is hiding from you. Penguin UK.
69. Pfeffer, J., Zorbach, T., & Carley, K. M. (2014). Understanding online firestorms: Negative word-of-mouth dynamics in social media networks. Journal of Marketing Communications, 20(1-2), 117-128.
70. Ratchford, B. T., Talukdar, D., & Lee, M. S. (2001). A model of consumer choice of the Internet as an information source. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 5(3), 7-21.
71. Resnick, P., & Zeckhauser, R. (2002). Trust among strangers in Internet transactions: Empirical analysis of eBay's reputation system. Advances in applied microeconomics, 11, 127-157.
72. Rimé, B., Philippot, P., Boca, S., & Mesquita, B. (1992). Long-lasting cognitive and social consequences of emotion: Social sharing and rumination. European review of social psychology, 3(1), 225-258.
73. Richardson, C. A., & Rabiee, F. (2001). A question of access: an exploration of the factors that influence the health of young males aged 15 to 19 living in Corby and their use of health care services. Health Education Journal, 60(1), 3-16.
74. Richins, M. L. (1983). Negative word-of-mouth by dissatisfied consumers: a pilot study. The Journal of Marketing, 47(1), 68-78.
75. Richins, M. L. (1984), Word of Mouth Communication as Negative Information, Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 11, T. Kinnear, ed., UT: Association for Consumer Research, 697-702.
76. Richins, M.L., & Root-Shaffer, T. (1988). The Role of Involvement and Opinion Leadership in Consumer Word-of-Mouth: An Implicit Model Made Explicit. Advances in Consumer Research, 15(1), 32-36.
77. Rou, W. C (2014). Lien: Ko should apologize to them. Storm media. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://election2014.stormmediagroup.com/news/20141126-1261
78. Stauss, B. (1997). Global word of mouth. Marketing Management, 6(3), 28-30.
79. Sun, T., Youn, S., Wu, G., & Kuntaraporn, M. (2006). Online Word‐of‐Mouth (or Mouse): An Exploration of Its Antecedents and Consequences. Journal of Computer‐Mediated Communication, 11(4), 1104-1127.
80. Schelling, T. C. (1973). Hockey Helmets, Concealed Weapons, and Daylight Saving: A Study of Binary Choices with Externalities, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 17(3), 381–428.
81. Sunstein, C. (2001). The daily we. Boston Review, 26(3), 1-13.
82. Sinchew (2008). Lien-Jane denoted ten million NT dollars and down jacket to Sichun (China) earthquake, Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.ettoday.net/news/20141029/419313.htm
83. SETN.COM (2014). Tsai accused Ko for slandering to Lien, Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.setn.com/News.aspx?PageGroupID=1&NewsID=49591&PageType=2
84. Tang, S. (2014). Ko respond to the isuue of beautiful girl can only be a waitress. Taiwan people news. Retrieved May, 1, 2015, from http://www.peoplenews.tw/news/f367764f-ea26-4c8c-aa21-86975e405d60
85. Tzu, K. Z.(2014). Involving of the organs transaction? Wen-Je Ko: impossible. China Times. Retrieved February, 14, 2015, from http://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20141028000384-260102
86. Tu, G. Y., Tsai, Y. H., Guo, A. C. & Chen, Y. T. (2014). Ethan Gutmann claimed Ko did not involve in human organs trading. Liberty Times. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/825621
87. Wangenheim, F. V., & Bayón, T. (2004). The effect of word of mouth on services switching: measurement and moderating variables. European Journal of Marketing, 38(9/10), 1173-1185.
88. Wetzer, I. M., Zeelenberg, M., & Pieters, R. (2007). ‘Never eat in that restaurant, I did!’ : Exploring why people engage in negative word of mouth communication. Psychology & Marketing, 24(8), 661-680.
89. Weinberger, M. G., & Dillon, W. R. (1980). The effects of unfavorable product rating information. Advances in consumer research, 7(1), 528-532.
90. Wikipedia (2009). KUSO, Wekepedia. Retrieved February, 22, 2015, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuso
91. Wang, D. J., Ling, J. T. (2014). Lien-Jane apologized for the swear words. NOWnews. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://www.nownews.com/n/2014/11/22/1517114
92. Wang, D. J. (2014). Lien political election team claimed that one hundred thousand NT dollars denoted by the team member not Lien. NOWnews. Retrieved June, 9, 2015, from http://www.nownews.com/n/2014/08/01/1351170
93. Wang, W. S. (2014). Ko office found two wiretappings. Liberty Times. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://election.ltn.com.tw/2014/news.php?rno=1&type=breakingnews&no=1149028
94. Wu, Y. C. & Chen, L. G. (2014). Lien asked Ko should quit the political election if they did not be wiretapped. SETN.COM. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.setn.com/News.aspx?NewsID=46893&PageGroupID=24
95. Zhu, C. K. & Ling, Y. H. (2014). Ko: Ethan Gutmann was over boast. China Times. Retrieved June, 10, 2015, from http://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20141029000379-260102
|Source URI: ||http://thesis.lib.nccu.edu.tw/record/#G0102356010|
|Data Type: ||thesis|
|Appears in Collections:||[資訊管理學系] 學位論文|
Files in This Item:
All items in 政大典藏 are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.